Five quick questions with Tim Dierkes the creator of the famed site MLB Trade Rumors or throughout the baseball world known as MLBTR
1. What gave you they idea to start MLBTR and how did you turn it into the juggernaut that it's became ?
I started it as a hobby, as I have always been most interested in the hot stove side of baseball. I was fortunate to stumble upon a niche that needed to be filled - aggregating all the rumors worth reading. I didn't do much promotion; it just caught on.
2. Have you "ever" thought of charging a fee to access your site ?
Yes, I considered it at one point a few years ago. I decided it would be best for the business and for the readers if I stuck with ads rather than a subscription fee. Personally I think that many subscription sites would make more money giving away their content for free.
RoRetc EDIT: Thanks Tim for saving us cash strapped fans !!!
3. Do you think the Royals will land any top of the line free agents ?
I predicted they will sign Japanese starter Koji Uehara, but it's just a guess. I can see them being in the mix for a slugger like Adam Dunn as well.
4. What's your take on the Jacobs-Nunez deal i.e. if you were Dayton Moore would you have made that trade ?
I thought it was a bad move for an OBP-starved club with a couple of interesting 1B options already in-house. I definitely would not have made that trade. Nunez isn't anything amazing, but Jacobs is a bad fit for the Royals and most other teams.
5. Do you think the Royals will make anymore deals ?
It seems that they could shop David DeJesus around, given the weak market for center fielders. I imagine they'd be looking for a middle infielder or pitching.
Thanks Tim for taking time off to answer a few questions out of your busy day specially as the hot stove heats up.
Once again be sure to check out MLBTR as often as possible !